Breakthrough.TV is looking for a program coordinator in their New York office. Application Deadline May 21st, 2004.
Breakthrough is an international non-profit organization that uses popular culture to promote values of dignity, equality and justice. We have affiliate offices in New York and New Delhi.
Working across five program areas (women©ˆs rights, religion & peace, racial & ethnic justice, caste discrimination, sexual & reproductive rights), Breakthrough encourages individuals and communities to get involved in building a culture of human rights through four avenues:
· Mass media to create radio, music, art, television for social change
· An interactive website ú www.breakthrough.tv
· Forums and workshops
· Multi-media educational materials
Breakthrough has produced the award winning Mann ke Manjeere: An Album of Women©ˆs Dreams along with two music videos, which are widely used globally for human rights education. Other productions include Junoon for Peace, a DVD for peace post-9/11; Bringing Durban Home: Combating Racism Together, a short video about the UN World Conference Against Racism; and Haman Hain Ishq and Baagon Na Jaa, a music album and video promoting religious harmony. Our most current US campaign, SPEAK UP! ACT UP! For a New America focuses on immigrant youth and civic engagement.
Breakthrough has also organized numerous concerts, film festivals and performances to present a human rights vision. We are active in creating educational materials, including a curricular toolkit on racial/ethnic justice and human rights. We conduct frequent workshops for students and training for teachers on social justice and human rights issues. For more information, visit www.breakthrough.tv.
Breakthrough is seeking a Program Coordinator located in New York to assist with education and outreach activities across program areas.
The Program Coordinator will work under the supervision and management of the Executive Director and in close consultation with the New York and Delhi teams of Breakthrough. In addition, s/he will:
· Manage Breakthrough©ˆs public education activities across all program areas, comprised of
o Planning and implementing public education events through print, video and audio media in collaboration with artists and media professionals
o Conducting and compiling research to develop educational materials for use in our education and outreach activities and website.
o Facilitating workshops and training with educators, students, NGOs, and other civil society groups to engage them in promoting human rights.
· Assist in a range of organizational support tasks including bookkeeping, fundraising, volunteer management, and other administrative tasks
· Develop and maintain relationships with educators, professional groups, NGOs and other individuals and organizations
· Learn about issues of concern to Breakthrough to ensure that education activities reflect the human rights values we aim to communicate
· Three to five years experience in training and education, and/or media/advertising
· Excellent research and writing skills
· Commitment to and/or experience in promoting human rights and social justice
· Willingness to learn about issues of particular concern to Breakthrough
· Excellent computer skills including web site administration
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to present concepts and creative briefs to students, educators and a wide range of constituencies
· Flexibility and willingness to contribute to all areas of operation in a small organization
· Responsible self-starter who is able to work autonomously and meet deadlines
· Prefer Masters degree in relevant field
· The following technical/creative skills are a plus: video editing (Final Cut preferred), graphic design, web design
Salary and Benefits:
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience based on standard non-profit salary ranges.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, caste, class, disability, marital status, religion or sexual orientation.
To apply send a resume and a cover letter clearly stating your reasons for applying for this position to email@example.com by May 21st, 2004. NO PHONECALLS PLEASE.